Iain has 30+ years experience yet remains at the cutting edge of the industry, always studying food trends, diverse food cultures and techniques. With a track record for running streamlined, profitable and popular food outlets, Iain is very quick to assess the efficiency of any kitchen operation and works with hoteliers, restaurateurs and caterers to help them achieve optimal efficiency.
Iain was classically trained in London and has worked for some of the most recognised brands in the world. He has dual British Australian citizenship. Conrad International Hotels sponsored Iain to move from London to Australia for the opening of Conrad International Hotel and Jupiters Casino on the Gold Coast.
An event catering aficionado he is known for his remarkable organisational and production prowess. He has also cooked for the specific dietary needs of celebrities and elite sports teams; catered for VIP private functions, culinary cook-offs and demonstrations, established new kitchen operations/restaurants for 5 star hotels as well as running room service, small food outlets such as pizzerias, pool side dining and cafés.
His passion for his industry has led him to meet great Chefs such as Marco Pierre White and Ainsley Harriett, he has experienced some of the very best restaurants such as the Roux Brothers Waterside at Bray, Gavroche, La Tante Claire, Claridges and The Connaught and has supported celebrity chefs behind the scenes.
Personally, Iain is a humble family man, a father and step-father to 4 boys. A drummer with a passion for football.
+61 424 235 734
Classically trained (English & French) in London under the guidance of Executive Chef David Miller (of Sheraton Park Towers & The Ritz) and revolutionary Executive Chef Anton Edelmann (of Grosvenor House Hotel):
Food Safety Supervision SITSS00051
Certificate IV Commercial Cookery SIT40413
City & Guilds of London 'Catering for the Hospitality Industry'
in conjunction with The Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management Assoc. and The Cookery and Food Assoc.
- 706-1: Basic Cookery for Catering
- 706-2: Advanced Cookery for Catering
- 707-1: Food Service
- 707-2: Advanced Food Service
- 707-3: Alcoholic Beverages Certificate
Hotel Chefs Diploma
Bournemouth & Poole College of Further Education
- The theory and practice of professional cookery
- Pastry work
- Larder work
- Food and beverage service
- Food costing
- English language
- French language
Ramada Hotels Leadership Success
- Creating a Leadership Culture
- Balancing Scorecards
- Team Communication
- Conflict Management
- Effective Meetings
Marriott International Training
- Train The Trainer
- 5 Star Service Advantage [Guest Relations]
- The Intercultural Leadership Advantage
- Foundations of Leadership
Queensland Health Department
- Food Safety Training
Queensland Liquor Licensing Brisbane
- Responsible Management of Licensed Venues
[Licensee Outrigger Sun City Resort]
Inbound Tourism Org. Australia
- Aussie Host
2 Stubborn Mules established 2007
Executive Chef /
Food and Beverage Operations and Licensee
OUTRIGGER / MANTRA SUN CITY RESORT Surfers Paradise Sept 2002 - Aug 2007
- Set-up and run new restaurant
- Established standards for facility
- Licensee administration and management duties
- Manage F & B operations facility wide (room service, functions, restaurant, pool bar/dining)
- Kitchen and front of house recruitment and training
- Indy Grand Prix F & B operations for 6 years (trackside, VIP private events, etc.)
Contract Chef July 2001 - Aug 2002
- Contract Executive Chef - SURFERS PARADISE MARRIOTT Gold Coast 3 Months
- Contract Chef - THE GABBA Brisbane
- Contract Chef In Charge - AUSTRALIAN OPEN GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP
Executive Chef | MARRIOTT HOTEL BRISBANE May 2000 - June 2001
- Manage F & B operations facility wide (room service, events, restaurant, bar)
Executive Chef | MARRIOTT COURTYARD HOTEL Gold Coast 1996 - 2000
- Re-branding Management Team (Ramada Hotel Group to Courtyard Marriott)
- Established new kitchen/restaurant “Res 252”
Executive Chef | RAMADA HOTEL Gold Coast 1994 - 1996
Executive Sous Chef | ROYAL PINES RESORT Gold Coast 1994
Executive Sous Chef | SEAWORLD NARA RESORT Gold Coast 1988 - 1994
Head Chef Garde Manger & Banquet Chef de Partie | CONRAD INT. HOTEL & JUPITERS CASINO Gold Coast 1986 - 1988
- Sponsored from the UK to Australia for the facility launch
Sous Chef | MARLOWES Fine French Restaurant Stratford Upon Avon UK 1985 - 1986
Sous Chef | BILLESLEY MANOR Hotel Stratford Upon Avon UK 1985
Chef Garde Manger & Chef Saucier | THE SAVOY LONDON 1984 - 1985
Commis Tournant, Chef Garde Manger, Chef Saucier | GROSVENOR HOUSE HOTEL London 1982 - 1984
- Launch of 90 Park Lane Restaurant
Commis Tournant | SHERATON PARK TOWERS London 1980 - 1982
Brand development specialist, owner of McCoy Design, (graphic design, logo design, brand development, web development), Julie is a passionate foodie with a long standing connection to the hospitality industry. Julie's expertise spans business start-ups, mentoring, IP trademark registration support, b2b networking, brand development and standards, SEO, fit out conceptualisation/signage/menu design, product development, administration support, advertising and more.
Julie's hospitality clientele has included:
- Evolution Facility Management / Maroon Group (Mining)
- Devour Breads & Cafe (re-brand from Baker's Club, logo design, fit out conceptualisation, product and packaging conceptualisation, packaging design, stationery, update website to new branding, signage.
- Grumpy's Barefoot Bar • Steak & Seafood Grill (brand development, website development, uniform design, fit-out conceptualisation, menu design, signage conceptualisation/design/production management, promotional design, advertising)
- Mon Komo Hotel (brand development, website development, menu design, signage, promotional graphics, events/wedding marketing materials, stationery, advertising)
- Catalyst Hospitality Management (logo design, website development, sales tools, stationery)
- Mona Vale Hotel (logo design, signage design, promotional materials)
- Zarraffa's Coffee (brand development, shop fit out support, uniforms, original website development, menu design, merchandising, packaging, promotional graphics, advertising - 9 years)
- Pizz-A-Cake (brand development, menu design, shop fit out support, advertising - 4 years)
- Java Gourmet Coffee Co. (brand development, promotional materials, conceptualisation, packaging - 4 years)
- Park Royal Hotel (menu design, promotions & special events materials)
- Outrigger Sun City Resort (menu design, in room dining TV menu, promotional materials)
- Liaison's Cafe (brand development, menu writing/development, signage design)
- South Tweed Bowls Club (menu design, promotional materials, special events materials, uniform design, advertising)
- Griffith University School of Hospitality and Tourism (Preferred Supplier. Awards presentations, promotional materials, merchandise)
- Hyatt Regency Coolum (in-room compendiums, promotional materials)
Conrad International Hotel & Treasury Casino Brisbane (3.5 years)
Appointed by Grant Bowie (VP Asia Pacific) to establish and run the Marketing Services Department from pre-opening; designing and producing promotional materials for the hotel, casino and its various restaurants, bars and convention facilities. Julie was on the Marketing Committee, working with the executive board members, including David Hilton, and Mojo advertising agency to implement national and international campaigns and the customer loyalty program.
Conrad International Hotel & Jupiters Casino Gold Coast (6 yrs)
Julie was in-house Graphic Designer for 5 years, and previously Training Coordinator for "Conrad College" (in which included the coordination of the apprentice chef team of 15, assisting with General Orientation induction, developing lesson plans, managing the external bookings/payment for the College and producing internal staff communications collateral). Julie cross-trained in various departments and has extensive knowledge of Food and Beverage Inventory Control, Purchasing and all aspects of accounts (Diploma Accountancy and Bookkeeping). As Graphic Designer, Julie worked with management from all departments, most frequently Food and Beverage and Casino Marketing (Special Events), producing menus for restaurants, banquets and in-room dining, invitations, special promotion marketing materials, advertising, etc.
Gatwick Wena Hotel
London Gatwick UK
19th century manor house and set in nine acres of countryside with 130 guest rooms. Julie was Front Office Supervisor, also responsible for cashiering and customer relations (during major refurbishment). Hotel clients included major airlines, with last minute check-ins for delayed flights - now that's pressure, an entire flight load of customers and the crew, tired and frustrated that their trip has been disrupted, waiting to be checked in - often in the early hours, solely by Julie. Pedantic owner, Nael Mahmoud el Farargy, demanded the highest standards of his team, from personal presentation to service skills. It was certainly good training in diplomacy, efficiency and communication.
The Castle Inn Hickstead
Hickstead Sussex UK
"This is where my passion for food began, in the early 80s. I virtually lived at this incredible pub, run by the renowned publicans Terry and Margaret Sherman. Terry was a classically trained chef from Westminster College London, and along with his Sous Chef David, their food was sublime. With a fine dining restaurant plus traditional bar food, people came from across the UK and Europe to dine. Terry's food displays were masterful and tantalising, with superbly presented fresh seafood and house-made terrines. The exceptional presentation of his a la carte meals, the divine flavours, along with the impeccably well trained service staff, made for an outstanding dining experience. I admired that, even though his nights were late, he was up with the sparrows to get his produce fresh from Market. I spent hours picking crabs, preparing salads, watching and learning, soaking up the buzzy atmosphere, happy to even just collect and wash glasses, always rewarded with a divine meal with the team after service. Terry and Margaret took me on culinary journeys of Menorca, introducing me to new food experiences, teaching me how to eat (and pronounce) correctly, perfectly filleting whole cooked fish actually gave me a sense of pride. Terry and Margaret are now retired in France and I still miss them and their restaurant."
- Brand development, web development, graphic design, merchandising, fit-out conceptualisation and signage design
- Business startup
- Accounts (payable, receivable, general ledgers)
- Food and beverage inventory control
- Human resources and training
- Train The Trainer
- Staff Instructor
- Secretarial Workshop
- Stepping Up To Supervisor
Edward de Bono Centre For Thinking with Prof. de Bono
- Constructive Thinking
- Six Hats
- Lateral Thinking
- Festival of Thinking
Inbound Tourism of Australia
- Aussie Host Customer Service
AGDA with Robyn Robins of Swinburne University
- Design Management
Adobe Systems USA
- Photoshop training with Russell Brown - original co-author of Photoshop
Accountancy GCSE [UK]
Pitmans of London Institute Touch Typist
A few words from clients...
Professional and on time every time, Iain enjoys exceeding expectations. When looking for consistency and on time delivery within your kitchen, look outside the ordinary and employ a qualified contract chef. Iain brings his hotel and resort experience into your catering world. Iain is dedicated to ensuring quality and the wow factor to your production each and every time. We have been working with lain since 2008 and when called upon for support, we have never been disappointed. Iain offers a professional product, done with finesse and creativity, catering to your own specification where required. Iain is situated very high on the list of our preferred contract chefs…you will not be disappointed.
Thank you too for helping Maria so much, she really is loving having your experience and expertise to draw on and I know we’ll be able to do many more amazing things together! We are very grateful for your time and willingness to support what we’re doing!
Iain is a consummate professional who can adapt to any catering environment and produce product of the highest standard, he is a pleasure to work with and has become a key member of our team.
Iain McCombe was contracted by the Pub Group Pty Ltd to support in refining the food operation of the Boardwalk, Hope Island over a four week period. Iain successfully achieved the objectives as requested by myself and the Company Director, some of which are as follows:
- Streamline overall kitchen operations to maximise efficiency productivity and profitability.
- Support in the refinement & implementation of a fully costed menu tailored to suit and appeal to the surrounding customer base and demographics.
- Support in the appointment a new Head Chef to successfully continue the ongoing management of the operation – and offer ongoing support where required.
- Re-establish the overall standards, systems & procedures to deliver and exceed budgeted requirements.
During this period Iain worked hands-on in the kitchen, focusing on production efficiencies whilst training and developing the current team members. He displayed a sound knowledge to OHS and food safety standards and the effective implementation of systems and procedures that work. Throughout his contracted period, Iain presented himself as a hospitality professional holding a very strong work ethic and a great passion for food. I would not hesitate to utilise Iain within our group for any potential opportunities in the future.
During my role as General Manager of Outrigger Sun City Resort, I employed the services of Executive Chef Iain McCombe to establish food and beverage operations for the facility comprising of a new restaurant, in-room dining, pool-side dining and special event catering. With Iain's practical, hands-on and goal driven approach to management he went on to successfully run all aspects of F & B operations, maintaining standards and consistently exceeding forecasted budgets. He became licensee for the premises and played an integral part in our executive team. Iain excelled with his management of our Indy event catering, ensuring a high pressure situation ran smoothly with minimal waste and maximum profit. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Iain's services as a consultant chef and I wish him every success with his future endeavours.
Iain, your assistance was awesome and professional as always. Thanks again and I will definitely keep you posted for any future business. You're a legend.
Remarkable what you achieved in such a short period.
It was a pleasure to work closely with you again over the past 3 months. Your contribution in improving and restructuring the kitchen operation has been successful and well received. Already the business is benefiting from your improvements both financially and on a HR level. The kitchen brigade have been working much better as a team and more importantly in harmony with the front of house. Your professionalism, wealth of knowledge and regimented approach has been the catalyst in bringing the operation forward to where it should be. Thanks again and I am sure you will continue to be in demand in the industry where ever you go.
I would just like to that you for spending time with us over the past couple of weeks.
I have found it extremely useful and you have reminded me to look back on kitchens in the past, where I had a love and respect for the head chefs that I have worked for; thinking on the practices that they had and learning form what you have said. I am looking forward to heading the kitchen in a new direction for the better.
Again, thank you very much and hope to see and work with you again in the future.
FROM A FORMER APPRENTICE, NOW A PEER
I was quite young when I first came to be Chef Iain's apprentice, my first job in a relatively new city. I'd heard stories of opulent manor houses and hotels speckled through Britain and how they were the forefront of European classical and modern cuisine. So here I was, young, impressionable, eager to learn and in an industry where hard work was no guarantee to provide any kind of satisfaction or riches, standing there waiting for directions from a man who's presence immediately commanded respect, who, as I later found out, had worked in these such manor houses and fine hotels that everyone was talking about.
Truth is, I will never stop learning from this gentleman, and I do mean gentleman in the full extent of the term. Too few people can carry the respectful nature and professionalism for even 20 mins of a 14 hour shift that Iain, sorry Chef, carries for the whole 55+ hour week. Sharing life lessons and dedication to his craft - that he hands out as if boiled sweets at a fair. Never afraid to try something new, but if he says it wont work... well, it probably wont.
It has been a while since we worked together, but we speak regularly, and see each other occasionally, but to be honest he has been over my shoulder for years.... and I am sure he will be for many more.
Iain is a credit to the industry, respectful yet realistic of the industry, at times frustrated with it but he delivers on goals and not enough people know about his work; those who do are happy to sing his praises. He is a big part of who I am as a chef, and where I'm going. He could have better taste in music though.